The next logical strategy process step is to define your mission statement.
A mission statement incorporates the purpose of what you are trying to achieve and the purpose of existence: a sense of strategic direction and opportunities against a desired level of performance. In consequence a mission statement provides a platform enabling the organization to fulfil their visionary objectives delivering sustainable organizational success. Not surprisingly, management must have the intention to keep all employees and other stakeholders aware of the organizational this purpose.
A well defined mission statement is a valuable source of inspiration and provides clear decision making criteria. For that reason your unambiguous mission statement should answer four core questions: (Ahaus en Diepman -1998)
- For what reason and why does the organization exist?
- Which fundamental needs are satisfied by your products and/or services provided?
- What would be lost without the organization?
- What is the purpose of existence?
With the above in mind the scope of a mission statement should contain fundamental value characteristics compromising your direct stakeholders like customers, employees, suppliers and shareholders.
Example mission statement
At Rovaha, our mission is to provide our Swedish B2B customers flexible and sustainable audio visual solutions and services against the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO).
We believe in our leadership and strength in audio visual knowledge and pragmatic solutions built on our core values; innovation, excellence, integrity and passion. Our natural values which we see in each and every Rovaha process, in every Rovaha community and in each Rovaha employee. For that we encourage our passionate employees to answer our customer needs beyond their expectations.
Our devoted mission statement exhibit five important characteristics:
- Our value proposition will exceed the audio visual expectations of our customers.
- Create a good and challenging working climate for our employees and colleagues.
- Provide a professional, lean and efficient outlet-channel for our trusted audio visual suppliers.
- Be a valuable and trustful partner for our customers and suppliers.
- Contribute to a sound return on investment for the Rovaha group and shareholders.
Let's validate this mission statement against the "Ahaus & Diepman" mission checklist:
1 - For what reason and why does the organization exist?
2 - Which fundamental needs are satisfied by your products and/or services provided?
3 - What would be lost without the organization?
4 - What is the purpose of existence?("Raison d'être")
Our mission statement comply and therefor we may asume that it could contribute to our overall strategy plan.
Next logical step is business development objectives. What do you want to accomplish and what are the basic assumption behind these..